Thursday, May 23, 2013

Alligators on the Farm

From a guy in Louisiana, think I will live with the deer damage.
-- From Stephen Burke, Delaware County, IA


 
This time of year, I usually see several alligators a day while out and about on the farm. They are so common that we may or may not point out one we see to someone riding with us. It's just not a big deal until you see one like this. This is by far the largest I have ever seen and I have seen some nice ones. Judging by first picture he spans 9 bean rows. 6 of the middles are 19 inches and the other two are 38 inches for a total of about 190 inches. Nearly 16 feet. Notice in second picture his rear foot nearly covers a 19 inch middle. The top of his head is nearly 4 feet off the ground in the third picture. I did not get out of the truck. Deer have been eating these beans and I think he was waiting for dark to get a little snack. 


No comments:

Post a Comment