Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Part 2 of 4 Derby Profiles

Overanalyze - Dixie Union-Unacloud, by Unaccounted For) Todd Pletcher - Your Arkansas Derby winner, which not to many people would've guess him winning. He has a pattern going, win/lose/win/lose/win/lose/win/? He won the Arkansas Derby very easily, but the time was the slowest in 30 some years. I can not see him winning, but he has one of the top jockeys Rafael Bejarano said after the Ark. Derby he left something for the Derby. He does have a very good 2 year old form winning the Futurity and Remsen Gr. 2’s, but he has not shown me enough yet to say that he will win the Kentucky Derby.
Revolutionary (War Pass-Runup the Colors, by A.P. Indy) Todd Pletcher – He picks up the famous Calvin Borel! This same combination (Calvin-Todd-WinStar Farm) won the 2010 Kentucky Derby. This horse is the total package, he can overcome troubles and still win. He has the pedigree to stretch out to the 1 1/4 distance. I have a hard time picking between him and a couple others, but he will be a short price, and if you want to make more money, maybe look somewhere else. But, you should definitely include him in your superfecta. He’s undefeated in 2013, winning the Withers Stakes and the Louisiana Derby. He is a major player and a lot of people will be using him!
Vyjack - This horse was a 3rd place finish last outing to Verrazano and Normandy Invasion in the Wood Memorial. Unfortunately, he had a lung infection during the race, that was unknown till after the race. That may be the cause of his poor performance. He was undefeated until that race. If I had to pick between the top 3 finishers that day at the Wood Memorial, I would still pick Normandy Invasion over Verrazano and Vyjack, but Vyjack would be 2nd. He has had time to recover from the infection and seems to be healthy now, but thing is, you want a perfectly healthy horse heading into the derby. He may be 99% healthy, but you want the whole 100%. He’s a late closer, so expect him to start rallying late and pick off the tired horses. This is a good horse to include in your superfecta. I will not be playing him to win, but maybe for 3rd or 4th. He has the quality to win, but he may not be all the way healthy yet and I think there are a couple of other horses that I will be using for the win. He is definitely one of the most interesting horses in the field and is one of my two ‘wise guy’ horses.
Will Take Charge - I also find this horse asking me a lot of questions. Part of me does not like him, and a little bit of me wants to use him for 4th at the best. In the end though, I will most likely not use him. Hes a half brother to last year's Derby contender, Take Charge Indy, who finished 19th, but then found out he was injured during the race. I find that this horse may have some distance limitations. He has been away for over 7 weeks, after an aggressive campaign from October to March. He did win his last race, the Rebel, but that race has not come up as a strong prep race. If I were most of you, I’d probably toss him. He will finish in mid-pack. Beautiful looking horse though!
Itsmyluckyday - I actually really like this horse. Some people may say the distance may be an issue, and I can see that part. But, part of me wants to overlook that. I think with the expected Derby pace and contenders, he will not mind the 1 ¼ distance. On other days, I see him a strong Preakness contender. I plan to make a few superfecta and other bets, and he will be on some of them...again depending on post positions. Everyone thought this horse was untouchable at Gulfstream Park, and everyone had him winning the Florida Derby. He had a 2 month layoff before finishing an ‘ok’ 2nd to Orb. I wonder about his 2nd place finish, and thats whats holding me back on using him more. They say he has been training stronger, than he did for the Florida Derby, but I see a mid pack finish for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment