Monday, July 15, 2013

Scott Hingtgen explains the WHY behind his 86K population corn

WHAT IS  A “BRAIN FART”........
 
That is what I had the day I planted 80K and 86K corn in 15” rows for corn I planned on chopping for feed.
I forgot to push 1 button on the monitor when I was in a hurry to finish corn planting. Rain showers were in the area and I wanted to switch the planter over to beans while it was raining.
I didn’t catch my mistake until after I had 18 acres of a 25 acre field planted.
The planter thought I was only using 16 rows to plant 40K on one half of the planter and 43K on the other half. Here in lies the problem, I had the 16 split rows also planting (totaling 32-15” rows).
I called my seed dealer after I kicked myself in the butt a few times to see what I should do. We waited for it to come up and then used my neighbors Kuhn/Krause excellerator to destroy it after it came up. He told me to leave a little so we all could see how it turns out. His main concern was  standability.
 
Will keep everyone updated. And yes,this is every seed dealers dream............the day we use 1 bag of seed/acre.

No comments:

Post a Comment