Friday, May 4, 2012

Kentucky Derby Hopefuls- 4 of 5

By Jordyn Burco

13. Went The Day Well (20-1) - Great horse at a great price. Graham Motion is the trainee and is being rode by John Velazquez. This horse has the same trainer, jockey and owners that won the derby last year with Animal Kingdom. Team Valor quoted, that this horse is more along then Animal Kingdom was, and already has a win over dirt, unlike Animal Kingdom. This is a very intriguing, interesting horse. Couldn’t be anymore happier either with this post. I really want to use him in my trifecta, but what's holding me back is he may be not experienced enough, and hasn't seen stiff competition yet. He’s looking great at churchill, and has had some outstanding works over the dirt, but I’m not sure yet. If he wins, I sure won't be shocked, since he’s good enough. I look for this horse to be more talented down the road, just give him a couple more months and he could be the best 3 year old out there. I just may change my mind and use him, but hes currently sitting on my 4th spot. Put money on him, if you have faith in a beautiful, brilliant, yet untested quality colt!

14. Hansen (10-1) - Trainer is Michael Maker – Your Breeders Cup Juvenile winner and Eclipse 2 year old of the year. I truly believe that Hansen is a really good horse, and one of the best of his generation. The issue I have, and I expect Hansen will have, is that in no way does the Kentucky Derby set up well for him. I do not think ten furlongs will be his best distance, nor do I see much hope that Hansen will get much of a breather at anytime during the first six furlongs, and that is true if he is first early, or even fourth. Only one horse in the past 11 years has won the derby while having the lead. This year’s derby is going to have a very fast pace, which he will be involved with and will not set up will for him .Now the Preakness, on the other hand, could be an entirely different story. Did I tell ya he’s white? Well not exactly, he's registered grey but doesn't have much of that. He already has a win over Churchill’s surface, so who knows maybe he can hold on for the win, but I'm not seeing it.
15. Gemologist (6-1) - Undefeated 5 for 5! Very tempted to put him number 1. This horse runs just like his dad did, who is the only horse to win the Breeders Cup Classic twice. He has a turn of foot and is gritty just like Tiznow. Trained by Todd Pletcher – What's not to like? He's never been beaten, is well bred, has solid connections, has won already twice at churchill and showed another gear late in the Wood Memorial. The only thing I really question is has he had enough practice this year? He only ran twice this year and one of them was just an allowance field that he beat by 7 lengths. Post 15 is exactly what Todd Pletcher wanted, he will benefit greatly from this, way more then my other favorite Union Rags post. He’s looking like a superstar ever since he arrived at Churchill on Sunday, can definitely see him winning. Otherwise, I love this horse's chances and you don't want to get in a fight with this one, because good luck beating him. I love Union Rags, but even this horse is almost calling for me to put him at number 1.

16. El Padrino (20-1) - This may be your dark derby horse! Padrino is a Pulpit-Enchanted Rock, by Giant's Causeway and is trained by the top trainer in the country- Todd Pletcher. He will be ridden by Rafael Bejarano. I highly believe that he will fall in love with the Churchill downs surface and distance. He’s a mystery horse to a lot of people, and you may just want to put a bet on this horse. He’s one of your long shots for a reason- finishing 4th in the Florida derby. If his jockey wasn’t so concerned about Union Rags trip the whole time, this horse may have finished better than 4th, same with Rags. This horse is a true, gritty horse, and has what it takes in that heart to win the derby (as do a lot of horses). He won the Risen Star Stakes, beating Mark Veleski in a thriller finish, where the duo dulled down the stretch and Padrino would eventually pull clear to win. I will say the exact same thing about him as I did Union Rags, toss his Florida Derby performance out. The Florida Derby was just not his day as far as pace, track, and tactics, but what it really comes to for me, is that when a horse who has shown enough ability to be competitive against top horses, suddenly gets ten furlongs and a strong pace to boot, wonderful things can happen on the first Saturday in May. Wonderful things at excellent odds.


Next four horses will be released during the 3 PM hour... Done Talking, Sabercat, i'll Have Another, & Liaison

No comments:

Post a Comment