Friday, May 4, 2012

Kentucky Derby Hopefuls- 3 of 5

By Jordyn Burco

9. Trinniberg (50-1) I will be majorly shocked and fall out of my seat if this one wins. This horse shouldn’t be placed in the derby. This is a true sprinter/miler but nothing more in my eyes. He’s only raced 7 furlongs, and he's going to be expected to race 10 furlongs? Not good training right there. This horse’s pedigree is nothing special, a horse can always outrun their pedigree, but thing is this horse is not even mentally or physically ready to run 10 furlongs without being ruined. This will most likely be your pace setter, and he’s the reason why horses like Dullahan, Creative Cause, Daddy Nose Best or Union Rags will love him setting such a fast pace. If they really wanted to run him in a TC race they should of waited till the Preakness Stakes. Who knows, maybe he will blow us away and go wire to wire, but I have high doubts about him Saturday. I do give him this, he may be the most gorgeous horse out there lol!



10. Daddy Nose Best ( 15-1)- The “Wise Guys Horse.” No horse could be peaking at the right time or training perfectly leading up to Saturday. I myself am very tempted to throw him in my top 4. There really isn’t anything bad to say about this horse, one may say who has he really faced? I think you should just scratch all that, this horse is way talented and could possibly be that long shot to win. His sire is Scat Daddy (same as Daddy Long Legs) which I don't care for at 10 furlongs, but looking at the broodmare line with Belmont Winner Thunder Gulch down there I’m thinking he won’t have any problems at 10 furlongs. I like his running style, and the way he seems to really want to grind it out all the way to the wire. He also should benefit from picking up Garrett Gomez, and seems to be thriving since arriving at Louisville. If he's good enough, he's eligible to run huge. Put your cash on this one folks!






11. Alpha (15-1) Owned by one of the biggest owners out there, Goldolphin. He’s had a great 2012 season with two wins and a second against Gemologist in the Wood. Alpha didn't have a great trip in the Wood, but still charged late to finish 2nd by a ¼ length. Gemologist was just too much for him that day. I beleive Alpha is a good, descent horse but he will never be better then Gemologist. I do like this horse quite a bit, especially with Bernardini in his breeding, but  I worry a little that he is not 100% since his recent minor hiccup, and that is no way to come up to a race like the Derby. If he had been one of my standouts, I might be more willing to believe he can overcome the little setback. He did have a bullet work out at Belmont before arriving to Churchill last week, but that still isn't enough to prove he can win.


12. Prospective (30-1) This horse in my mind has no chance at all. Same for Trinniberg, if he wins I will be blown away. Though he is a grandson of A.P. Indy and Awesome Again, who is likely to relish 1 1/4 miles. I just think he’s outclassed by this talented group. If it was last year's derby, I may have given him a second thought, but I’m having troubles doing that this year. He won the Tampa Bay Derby, 2nd in the Sam F. Davis and a disappointing 6th in the Toyota Blue Grass. In the Breeders Cup Juvenile he finished another sad 13th at Churchill last fall, so I’m thinking Churchill downs won’t be to his liking, but race him again back at Tampa Bay Downs in Florida and he shall win again!



Next four horses will be released during the 1 PM hour... Went The Day Well, Hansen, Gemologist, & El Padrino

No comments:

Post a Comment