Thursday, June 27, 2013

As seen on agweb.com- Crop Comments


  • 6/26 - East central Iowa:  We have received just under 2.5" of rain since Saturday. Areas around Jackson County received 2-9" (by my unofficial results). Some areas had 4-6", last night alone. Rain was welcome here, we were not hurting yet, but some corn was starting to roll in the light areas last week. Corn is knee to waist high and is looking good overall. Beans are also progressing well. We are due to cut 2nd crop alfalfa and new seeding. I hate to beat a dead horse, but folks in my area feel extremely lucky yet. I know that doesn't help the rest of you who are having major trouble, but we do want to let you know that we hope for the best for all you realizing that we could be in the same boat.
    And thanks for the kind words from Freeborn County. As you could probably tell, I get bored easily. I like to do it because I have a poor memory and like to hear how people outside of our area are doing to get the real picture of crop conditions (not so much this year). Like one of you stated earlier, "farmers want to plant". Like a lot of you are saying, where is the USDA coming up with these numbers and crop conditions? There are 2 websites that I look at every day: "agweb: crop comments" and "news from the coffee shop" to keep up on the happenings on the farm.
     
 

No comments:

Post a Comment